Nearby towns and attractions
- Bishop's Castle, Montgomery and Clun are picturesque small towns with lovely cafes and pubs
- Shrewsbury is great for shopping and is a pretty medieval/Tudor town, as is Ludlow
- Fantastic Norman castles at Montgomery, Clun and Ludlow
- The old Welsh castle, Dolforwyn, a ruin unearthed by archaeolgists in the 1990s, is worth a visit
- Lovely gardens and grounds at Gregynog Hall
- Powis Castle is a National Trust property with gardens
- Mitchell's Fold stone circle near Church Stoke is atmospheric
- Further afield are the Welsh coast and Snowdonia. Dolgellau is 75 minutes away as is the beach at Aberdyfi
There are many red kites in the area and also buzzards, frequently observed from the cottage. Nearby are several Shropshire/Montgomeryshire Wildlife Trust sites, including:
- Roundton Hill is 5 miles from the cottage. It's adjacent to Corndon Hill.
- Rhos Fiddle and Lower Shortditch are both adjacent to the Kerry Ridgeway, the ancient drovers' route Upper Castlewright sits on.
- Nipstone Rock and the Hollies in the Stiperstones
Upper Castlewright Cottage is also a hiker's paradise.
- Local OS map in cottage
- The Kerry Ridgeway is lovely for walks or strolls directly from the cottage
- Offa's Dyke path runs north-south, just 400 yards west of the cottage. Nice to walk either direction
- Corndon Hill, the Stiperstones and Long Mynd are all nearby